I am a Peace Corps Volunteer living and working as a Business Advisor in Campamento, Honduras.
This blog chronicles my life and times over the next 27 months.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Honduras' Top Chef

While she may have been guilty of the fish soup incident, Leticia was by far the best cook whose food I've had the pleasure of eating in the 5 months I've been in Honduras.  Practically everything was home-made, from the tortillas to the tamales.  One night, I was lucky to be home when she started a fresh batch of said tamales.  The process itself is fairly simple, but time consuming and labor intensive.

The first step is to shuck corn, a lot of it.  Granted, seeing as she runs a restaurant, we were making tamales for what felt like hundreds of people.  Using a sharp kitchen knife, you then shear all of the kernels off the cob.  This clearly wasn't her first rodeo as she sliced up 4 times the amount I did in the same time, not taking the same regard for her fingers as I was...

Next, you pour the kernels into a hand-turning press and turn the press with your hand.  Seeing as I'm a fairly fit 20-something, I stepped up after a couple minutes to relieve my 60 year old 'mother' of this workout.  Big mistake, it's a lot harder than it looks, but pride wouldn't let me stop until the last kernel was pressed and I was sweating like a pig in the evening humidity.  The press squeezes the juice out of the corn and creates a yellow mash which you then pour into the previously shucked husks.  Fold the leaves up like a green Christmas present, stand them up in a big pot, fill it halfway with water, place it on the fogon, and let it steam for roughly 20 minutes.

There are a number of variations of tamales, some sweet, some savory.  Our's were filling-less yet delicious.  That night, I was fit to burst after being force-fed close to my body-weight in tamales lathered in mantequilla, fried tamale pancakes, and leftover corn-on-the-cob that tasted like a fresh batch of Orville Redenbacher's.

Helping and/or slowing down the process

Leticia, cooler than the other side of the pillow

Getting the batch ready for steaming

Leftover mash pancakes

2 comments:

  1. A) I want to be friends with Leticia.
    B) Lurve tamales
    C) Yay for the blog
    D) Thanks for the message, you should enter the giveaway for my Bloggy Pump CD when I have it.
    E)MOH > BM

    ReplyDelete